Sugar Land, TX

drinking 2.5 liters overnight-noon and urinate a lot. i stop drinking water around noon and then concentrate heavily for 10hrs. should i space my water out? i'm diagnosis psychogenic polydipsia.

Dr. Farshad Fani Marvasti
Space it out: I would agree that spacing out water would affect your frequency of urination. If that doesn't change things, you may need to see a doctor to run other tests to make sure it is behavioral or psychogenic as you suggest. Also make sure to avoid caffeine as this can affect your urination as well.
Dr. Robert Woods
Spread Over The Day: Water is best consumed throughout the day. It is important to keep the body hydrated. Psychogenic polydipsia does make the situation a bit more complicated. If using your schedule helps your fluid intake in check, then continue to follow it. There are therapists that can help, but you must dedicate the time and energy necessary. This is a serious condition that can lead to death. Get help.

Last updated Dec 10, 2013