Why is it important for a woman to be especially cautious of her diet and health during the first trimester of pregnancy?

Dr. Peter Baumann
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Organogenesis: During the first trimester the human being forms, which is called organogenesis (the organs and body parts come into existence). Malformations happen during this time period, which is why mothers-to-be want to be cautious with their diet and the medications they take, as well as alcohol, caffeine, drugs, smoking- to name a few.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.