Fredericksburg, VA

having shoulder pain last severall wks...radiates to elbow..often painful to move &is affecting strength.causes and sigg. please?

Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice 53 years experience
Possibly tendonitis : Does hurt when stress your biceps? If so might be biceps tendonitis where biceps tendon connects to anterior shoulder. Press on front of shoulder & see if you can arouse pain. There are about six or seven muscles & one could have tendonitis. See an osteoparh for specific diagnosis and therapeutic advisory. Sometime a single cortisone injection, if skillfully placed, can resolve the problem.
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 29 years experience
Be checked: There are many potential causes and you should consider being checked. Probably the two most common are a rotator cuff tear or a pinched nerve in the neck. If it hurts to raise you arm over your head, rotator is more likely. If it does not make it worse, or even helps to raise arm over head, pinched nerve is more likely. Again, consider being checked. Thank you for the question.