CT

I have a painful red rash all over my buttocks, hips, upper thighs and sides. they are very red, "angry looking". were itchy for a brief time?

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 33 years experience
Shingles: Shingles is a skin rash caused by a nerve and skin inflammation from the same virus that previously caused chickenpox. This virus is called the varicella zoster virus (VZV) and belongs to the herpes family of viruses. After an individual has chickenpox, this virus lives dormant in the nervous system and is never fully cleared from the body. Under certain circumstances the virus goes to the skin.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 3, 2018