Marton, NJ

i have been diagnosed with a cyst on my lower lumbar/thoracic spine. its hitting nerves in my lower back. do i need to worry about getting surgery?

Dr. Mark Eisenberg
Neurosurgery 33 years experience
Maybe: There are different kinds of "cysts" but the most common "cyst" in the lumbar spine that causes is a pinched nerve is a synovial cyst. This is and inflammatory cyst that causes symptoms of a pinched nerve. Surgery is sometimes indicated for large, painful cysts that are unresponsive to nonsurgical treatments like pt and injections.
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 31 years experience
If tarlov cyst: Tarlov cyst do not cause symptoms there removal is fraught with complications a tarlov cyst is just a MRI finding ther is no treayment that produces a better outcome best left alone in my opinion.
Dr. Mark Eisenberg
Neurosurgery 33 years experience
Depends: If you are referring to a synovial cyst then surgery can very often relieve your pain. A synovial cyst is an inflammatory cyst originating from the lining of the one of the joints that makes up the spinal column. They can compress a nerve and cause pain consistent with a pinched nerve.

Last updated Jun 11, 2020