Palo Alto, CA

i was recently told tha a new partner can change my body odor. what causes that? just bacteria?

Dr. Salvatore Biazzo
Body odor causes: The reason that body odor occurs is because bacteria break down the oils secreted by our sweat glands. It is possible that your new partner may have a different type of bacteria and this is why your body odor has changed. It also depends on where the odor is coming from. Certain bacteria that can cause std's can cause your vaginal odor to change as well and would require treatment by your doctor.
Dr. David Sneid
Endocrinology 41 years experience
Depends: It depends entirely on what kind of perfume your partner wears and how much rubs off on you. Or, if you're a slob and she/he makes you bathe more often or use deodorant.......
Dr. Joseph Eastern
Dermatology 44 years experience
Don't believe...: ...Everything you hear; it's amazing what people will tell you sometimes. I suppose that a change in partners could introduce a new bacteria or yeast species in the pubic area, which could multiply and affect odor - but just in that area. Certain infections and poor hygiene can also lead to increases in odor; but in general if your hygiene habits don't change, neither will your body odor.
Dr. David Sneid
Endocrinology 41 years experience