I'm a breastfeeding mother my doc said i will take brimonidine tartrate eyedrops it is safe for my baby when i take brimonidine tartrate eyedrops?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Amin Ashrafzadeh answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

Likely: The amount of eye drop used and how little gets into blood stream and then how much less gets into milk and how much less is actually absorbed by the baby.... Odds are in your favor. I doubt there will ever be study to prove it.

Answered 3/14/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Claudio Contreras answered

Specializes in Ophthalmology

Possibly: Brimonidine tartrate is an eye drop used for the treatment of glaucoma. It is not known if this medication is excreted in human breast milk. Animal studies have found excretion of this medication in breast milk. Depending on the severity of glaucoma, the risks and benefits of continuing this medication in this situation should be thoroughly disussed with eye md.

Answered 7/2/2015

5.2k views