Total hip replacement a year ago. dr stretched my femoral nerve and said nerve would return 100% by 6 mos. after 1 yr, i have abt 60%. how much longer?

8 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. David Fisher answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

Unknown: The type of nerve injury affects the recovery rate. Whether it is stretched, bruised, cut, or otherwise damaged affects the recovery. Nerves regenerate slowly after damage and generally "regrow" an average of 1mm/day. So depending on the location of damage and how far to regrow can determine length of recovery. In some cases, they never recover fully.

Answered 4/18/2018

5.3k views

Dr. Roger Palutsis answered

Specializes in Sports Medicine

He's Correct: Although this is an unusual occurance, your surgeon is correct. It may take as long as 1 year to get full improvement. No guarantee though. Physical therapy is an important part to recovery. Good luck.

Answered 8/24/2013

5.2k views

Dr. John Dearborn answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Reconstructive Surgery

This could be it: This is a rare complication and usually the result of an anterior hip approach. Injury to the sensory nerve to the thigh is the more common issue with this approach. I agree that regrowth is about 1mm per day after the first few weeks, but a year is more than enough time for the nerve cell to find it's way if it going to happen. You can have a neurologist evaluate your current status with an emg.

Answered 3/31/2015

4.9k views