I had a very bad experience with zoloft (sertraline) (loss of interest in life and suicidal thoughts during withdrawl). are there any other meds i should avoid?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Work w/psychiatrist: Finding a medicine that successfully manages your depression can be a little challenging. But it's possible by partnering with your psychiatrist -- sharing your responses and being heard. I don't know whether you tapered your zoloft (sertraline), (sertraline) or whether you stopped it suddenly. The latter method could easily risk relapse into the symptoms your doctor was trying to help you with, via zoloft (sertraline).
Dr. John Moranville
Not necessarily : Zoloft (sertraline) is only 1 of many options. As dr pappas said you need to work with your psychiatrist to find the right 1 for you. Depending on your constellation of symptoms and what the problem was with zoloft (sertraline) you may need to avoid other ssri but there are others with entirely different mechanism. Be patient and I am sure you will find something that will work.

Last updated May 14, 2016