U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 39-year-old female asked:

I have a bicuspid a aortic valve what changes in my life should i makei as for drinking and exercising?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Steven Ajluni
Cardiology 36 years experience
Regular f/u on valve: Bicuspid aortic valves are one the most common congenital anomalies occurring perhaps in 5% patients. A two instead of three leaflet valve may be at higher risk for aortic stenosis (when this occurs, it does so in 5th-6th decade of life), or aortic regurg. An echo and physical exam will typically suggest these developments. If severe stenosis is present, exercise restrictions/valve surgery neede.
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 37 years experience
Talk to cardiologist: Any limitations that you may have will depend on how the valves are functioning. A cardiologist can evaluate the valves and advise you regarding any limitations you may have.
Dr. Atique Mirza
Internal Medicine - Cardiology 32 years experience
You need to see a cardiologist and get an echocardiogram to find out how your Aortic valve is functioning. Most of the patients live normal lives for many years without any limitations.
Nov 1, 2013

Related questions

A 20-year-old female asked:
Can you drink alcohol after having aortic valve replacement surgery and while having a pacemaker?
2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
Hello, I was diagnosed with bicuspid aortic valve - should I be worried?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 25-year-old member asked:
Is exercise bad for a bicuspid aortic valve patient?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 35-year-old member asked:
Can you tell me about surgery for bicuspid aortic valve disease?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 2, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.