A 24-year-old member asked:

Can you drink alcohol while taking valacyclovir?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine 43 years experience
Valacyclovir: The company suggest that you should be well hydrated when taking valacyclovir, and use of alcohol, especially heavy use, will cause dehydration.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
A Verified Doctoranswered
Family Medicine 40 years experience
Can but shouldn't: Although there are no drug-drug (yes, alcohol is a drug) interactions listed, it is always best to avoid mixing medications with alcohol. Alcohol alone is irritating to the stomach and acts as a depressant and affects rational judgment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. John Moranville
Psychiatry 38 years experience
While it is optimal to not drink alcohol at all when using other drugs, complete abstinence is not realistic. I usually tell patients no more than 1 drink at a time with most psychiatric medications, but I also advise that many medications may amplify the sedation and slowed reaction time while driving or focusing on other complex activities. 1 drink = 1 shot, 1-12oz beer, or 8 oz of wine.
Feb 19, 2012

Related questions

A 51-year-old male asked:
Is it safe to have a moderate amount of alcohol while taking Valacyclovir? Thank you.
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 32-year-old member asked:
Is it possible for you to mix alcohol and valtrex (valacyclovir)?
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 21-year-old female asked:
Can you drink red wine while on valtrex (valacyclovir)?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
A 24-year-old male asked:
How many times a day should I drink valacyclovir to male him work at his best?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Last updated Jul 26, 2019
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.