when will my baby's pointed head take a more normal shape?

Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Should happen soon: If your baby has just been born be patient it should round out soon. In some cases it takes longer if the birth was a particularly tight squeeze. If you baby is older and the fontanelle (soft spot) is closing you need to consult your pediatrician.
Depends on a reason: A baby outside of the newborn period should not have a pointed head, so parents should discuss any unusual head shape with the doctor. Newborns often have pointy heads, due to the molding (the moving of the skull plates into overlapping positions to make a narrower skull) that occurs inside the mom's pelvis and vagina as a baby is being born. Newborns' heads normalize their shape in a few days.