A 22-year-old female asked:
When my husbands ring finger gets wet, the skin under his wedding band itches and peels off really bad. he has changed rings multiple times. any tips?
1 doctor answer • 5 doctors weighed in
Dermatology 25 years experience
Allergic vs irritant: Some people are allergic to gold, many are allergic to nickel. Many non-24k gold contain some level of nickel as a hardening agent. If you are allergic, a contact allergic rash will develop. Your dermatologist can do a patch test to see if you are allergic to either. Separately, soap can cause an irritant (not allergic) reaction if trapped under a ring and not completely rinsed off.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
5.3k viewsReviewed >2 years ago
Last updated Apr 18, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $19/month membership
Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.