U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 20-year-old male asked:

I am having urticaria for past 4 years.i am completely irritated.tried too many medications but not satisfied.what could be the reason?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 34 years experience
Urticaria: Numerous controlled studies as well as case reports have demonstrated that Omalizumab can be employed successfully in approximately 75 % of patients with chronic spontaneous urticaria, leading to a dramatic decrement in symptoms with very few side effects. No other drug currently available is comparable, and the success rate in patients resistant to antihistamines is no different.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Allergy and Immunology 31 years experience
See an allergist, in some resistant cases can be treated with immunosuppressants, such as cyclosporine. Omalizumab does not currently have the indication for urticaria, recent studies are promising but doubt insurance companies will pay for it to treat urticaria without FDA approval.
Feb 27, 2013
Dr. Lee Perry
Allergy and Immunology 19 years experience
Several options: There are many possibilities--i would recommend seeing your physician for detailed bloodwork.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jan 9, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.