how can i manage suicidal thoughts from postpartum depression?

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Call yor doctor...: Call your doctor immediately. This is an emergency, not only for you, but for your child as well, and it is very hard to manage without help.
Dr. Marc Katz
Dr. Marc Katz commented
Clinical Psychology 22 years experience
Suicidal thoughts are not uncommon when one is depressed. While this is not something to take lightly, it may be comforting to know that, the vast majority of individuals with such thoughts do not act on them and the thoughts do pass. The situation gets more serious when one has also has developed a plan on how they might carry it out. I highly recommend you speak with your doctor and consider seeing a therapist to help you manage the depression and get some support.
Aug 7, 2013
Dr. Ravi Chand
Dr. Ravi Chand commented
The concern arises when within the first few weeks of postpartum depression you can have severe suicidal thoughts and sometimes thoughts to hurt others or sometimes hear voices, if this happens please call 911 or go to nearest ER Please consult your MD asap SSRIs usually help, sometimes antipsychotics may have to be used
Aug 9, 2013
Dr. Raymond Coffin
Clinical Psychology 26 years experience
Certainly Drs. Belilovsky and Chand are correct in urging you to take immediate action, especially if you begin to have thoughts of harming yourself or others. But please don't wait to get help until things get that bad. Depression is miserable for you to endure, and well before more drastic thoughts get started, you may lose interest in your life, even your new baby. Pulling away from the baby during this early bonding period can be very damaging to a child's ability to feel attached and safe in the world, and you lose out on one of the most remarkable experiences in life. So please talk to your MDs, and perhaps look for a supportive therapist and support groups online or through the social work department of your local hospital. Depression can be treated effectively, and you deserve to experience the joys as well as the sleepless nights that come with a newborn! Take good care of yourself...soon.
Aug 22, 2013
Dr. Gregg Alexander
With help: Please, see your doctor, your obstetrician, or your pediatrician immediately. Help is available; i - and your baby - really want you to find it. My best thoughts are with you.
Dr. Susan Feingold
Clinical Psychology 29 years experience
Call your physician: This is not something you should manage on your own. If you are seriously considering suicide, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room immediately. If you have no plan, but have thoughts.. Contact a mental health professional with specialization/expertise in assessment and treatment of postpartum depression. You can contact postpartum support, international at www.Postpartum.Ne.
Dr. Howard Fertel
Emergency Medicine 32 years experience
See doctor : See your doctor immediately. Post partum depression can be treated with anidepressants, but it may take a couple of weeks for the effects to take place. If your symptoms are severe enough you may need to be hospitalized.
Dr. Osman Farooq
Pediatric Neurology 20 years experience
Get checked: I agree with dr. Cohen. I will add that anyone having suicidal thoughts should go to the nearest emergency department. This also hold tru if you have thoughts of hurting anyone else, including your baby.
Dr. Emma Rishton
Clinical Psychology 13 years experience
Sounds serious: Are you having suicidal thoughts? You must get help right away. 1-800-273-8255.
Dr. Aaron Ament
ACT ON THIS: Depression at this time will affect the optimal closeness with your baby - and that can affect your baby's development. I understand your wanting to deal with this yourself, but an expert and probably medication can get you out of trouble - the faster the better. See an experienced psychiatrist.