Malaysia

why can't i donate blood, when i am on norvasc and zocor (simvastatin)?

Dr. Aasim Sehbai
Hematology and Oncology 24 years experience
Blood donation : I don't see any reason why not.
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 23 years experience
Blood donation: There could be other reason/s why they do not allow you to donate blood. How high your blood pressure when you were there? I know that a small amount of Norvasc and zocor (simvastatin) in the blood can be detected and combination can increase risk for muscle damage. Perhaps this is something they want to prevent from happening to the blood receiver. Sometimes, blood center has different stringent criteria.
Dr. Aasim Sehbai
I don't see any evidence based literature or data suggesting combination of these 2 drugs would disqualify someone from donating blood
Feb 22, 2013
Dr. Liawaty Ho
Dr. Liawaty Ho commented
Provided original answer
I did look for any evidence as well- and as I stated above there could be other reasons that prevent them not to allow somebody to donate blood- for instance they will allow norvasc if it is used for hypertension. they will not allow blood donation if that is used for angina/chest pain. or perhaps, if blood pressure at that time was very high. certain center has stringent criteria applied and some times it doesn't make sense. you should ask the center the specific reason why you can't donate the blood.
Feb 22, 2013

Last updated Jun 30, 2014