i was diagnosed with neurosarcoidosis. i need a second opinion. one leg lost most sensation and the is weak. bulging disk as well. cauda equina?

2 doctor answers
Dr. William Walsh
17 years experience Addiction Medicine
Possible - but: I am presuming that there is biopsy evidence for the disease; if you have seen a pulmonologist, a neurologist, and/or a rheumatologist i would seek immediate treatment. Ucla and usc are both nearby hospitals replete with sub specialists.... See one asap; in the meanwhile i would not avoid treatment.
Answered on Dec 20, 2012
3
3 comments
Dr. William Walsh
17 years experience Addiction Medicine
Provided original answer
Your rheumatologist or neurologist should be able to give you a local referral - or you can get referred on to UCSF, Mayo, or the University of Colorado at Denver if you want to go somewhere other than where you live.
Mar 13, 2012
Dr. William Walsh
17 years experience Addiction Medicine
Provided original answer
This is something that you need to someone in their clinic for, internet level advise (with no exam) is risky. If you notice most of us hedge our answers here as it is nearly impossible to get an accurate diagnosis without seeing the images, the patient, and the pathology in person. Medicine is done best face to face. Again, in Utah I'd have you see Dr. Rose at the U, if you want a referral.
Mar 13, 2012
Dr. William Walsh
17 years experience Addiction Medicine
Provided original answer
I would presume you would want to pursue treatment then - as this does not sound like the usual quiescent pulmonary sarcoid. I don't know the physician community where you live well, but a university hospital should have a neurologist that specializes in it who can see you... your rheumatologist or pulmonologist should be able to refer you locally. In Utah, Dr. Rose at the University would be it
Mar 13, 2012
Dr. Estrada Bernard
38 years experience Neurosurgery
Correlation : Cauda equina syndrome is a diagnosis based on signs and symptoms of nerve dysfunction of the lumbosacral area. Compression of the nerve roots can be caused by neurosarcoid masses as well as herniated discs or other entities . These can typically be differentiated by correlating physical ex inaction and imaging studies such as MRI scans.
Answered on Jun 10, 2014