NJ

Why are msg's bad?

Dr. Irv Loh
Dr. Irv Lohanswered
Cardiology 50 years experience
Bothersome, not bad: Msg is a flavor enhancer, hence its value to restaurants. The problem is that some people have exquisite sensitivity with palpitations, tingling, shortness of breath, numbness, weakness, chest tightness. Can be pretty scary and last for a couple of hours, prompting visits to emergency departments, due to its mimicking a heart attack. Clearly to be avoided if demonstrated sensitivity.
Neurology 53 years experience
I consider it potentially dangerous, and will explain in another answer
Apr 11, 2015
Neurology 53 years experience
FDA approved poison: MSG is an excitotoxin which can stimulate cells to the point of damage or death. There are potential cardiovascular risks in susceptible folks with prior heart disease and can affect glutamate receptors. I have seen ingestion trigger migraine headaches. I do NOT think it is safe, and the "taste stimulation" is certainly NOT worth it. Would avoid it at all times. Check food labeling.