when i wake up there is tons of mucus in my throat. why does this happen?

Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Ron Jones answered
See PCP: Gotta know the cause. See pcp for work up. Could even be gerd.

Is it true that dairy products thicken mucus in the throat? If so, why?

Dr. Mark Patterson
Actually no: When you have mucus in the throat, certain foods and drinks can make it feel worse. It is a common myth that dairy products make it worse, but in fact they do not. In fact, you want to increase the amount of fluid in your diet to help thin the secretions.

Why would have mucus in my throat?

Dr. Videh Mahajan
Mucus in throat: Esopaheal reflux or allergic rhinitis are more likely. Both are relatively easily treatable conditions.

It always feel like there mucus in my throat.?

Dr. Videh Mahajan
Wilson, NC

How does it feels when mucus or cold is down in your throat?

Dr. Jeffrey Pollard
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 21 years experience
Lowsy: It doesn't feel good when you have a cold in your throat. It is typically painful when you swallow and mucus can generally add to the level of congestion which may make breathing more difficult. Stay well hydrated and consider Guaifenesin if mucus is thick. Hope this helps!
South Africa

Hello my 6 weeks nephew has a flu and is blocked and has this thing that looks like mucus that keeps blocking his throat,what can I do to help?

Dr. Amrita Dosanjh
Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology 36 years experience
Testing: Monitor for fever, provide hydration, and your PCP may screen him for viral and bacterial illness, depending on additional findings. Other considerations include use of nasal saline to keep nasal passages patent. Infants breathe through their noses, and this is an important part of his management.

Last updated Feb 10, 2013