if i give my son a bottle will he start to prefer the bottle more then my breast? i don't want to stop the bond.

3 doctor answers
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Very much so: Sucking a bottle is much more rewarding than sucking a breast, because it's easier. The bond will be compromised once you start doing that, so don't go that route, unless absolutely need to.
Answered on Dec 20, 2012
1
1
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Provided original answer
if you start giving it to him on a regular basis - yes!
Jan 8, 2012
Dr. Mark Diamond
45 years experience Pediatrics
Actually- No: A study published this summer demonstrated that the concept of " nipple confusion" is not true, just a myth. When a baby is truly hungry there is no problem with occasionally using a bottle. This does assume that anatomically there are no issues and that the breast milk itself has no problems.And I should add that this concept is consistant with my experience as a pediatrician.
Answered on Jun 15, 2017
2
45 years experience Pediatrics
Reasonable backup: You may find it hard to get him to take a bottle if you are there & he wants the real thing. Having someone else feed him a bottle once in a while can be a benefit if you were to need surgery or be away for any lengthy period. I find more BF kids refuse bottles than become confused by them.
Answered on Jun 15, 2017