U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old member asked:

I have a sharp pain as if something stabbing me on only the upper right side of my back same spot, i can't lay down with it hurting. what you suggest i?

4 doctor answers12 doctors weighed in
Dr. Marsha Davis
Internal Medicine 29 years experience
Need more info: Place of pain, how long , radiation , history of injury ? Any other symptoms like in the shoulder or abdomen? Any fever? Ever had it before ?
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Pulmonology 28 years experience
Options: This could be muscular or pleuritic pain (inflammation of the lining of the lung). I would start with anti inflammatory medications such as Motrin or advil (ibuprofen) for 48 to 72 hours. If no improvement or if you have shortness of breath you need to be evaluated with a chest xray.
Dr. Howard Adler
Urology 32 years experience
See your physician: This type of pain is non-specific and needs to be evaluated. You should see your physician as soon as possible. He/she will determine the tests you need - blood, urine, and imaging - after a history and physical exmination have been performed. This could be a kidney stone; however, there are many other possible causes including something as benign as a muscle spasm or as serious as an aneurysm.
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Specializes in Nephrology and Dialysis
Alleve: Not clear what the issue is although it appears to be a musculoskeletal injury or possible lipoma (fat tissue development). Suggest trying alleve, advil or tylenol (acetaminophen). Also can try a heating pad for that area. If the problem persist or if there urinary problems, suggest seeing your primary care doctor.
Last updated Nov 27, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.