A member asked:

Uti cleared one week. continual concerns about delirium. going to see a geriatric psychiatrist. is that the right course of action?

10 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Pamela Pappas answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Geriatric psychiatry: A geriatric psychiatrist can do detailed examinations, to see where you are in your recovery from delirium. Also s/he can check to see whether other contributing issues might need addressing too. If there are more chronic problems with your thinking, memory, concentration, etc, s/he'll be able to assist you also. Usually s/he would collaborate with your other doctors for your overall health.

Answered 5/9/2016


Dr. Mara Fiorentino answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

UTI and delirium: It is a very likely that delirium is caused by recurrent uti. In older women, very frequently due to lack of hormonal protection and fecal contamination. The changes in electrolytes due to urine retention, and its consequences in the brain function lead to sudden changes in mental status, or delirium. The psychiatrist would help to rule out other causes, or comorbid psychiatric disease.

Answered 5/8/2016


Dr. Alan Ali answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Delirium?: If cleared by your pcp, yes it is a wise choice. Good luck.

Answered 4/13/2013


Dr. Maureen Nash answered

Specializes in Geriatric Psychiatry

Yes: Geriatric psychiatrists tend to have a lot of experience on this topic.

Answered 10/22/2014



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor