I have atrial fibrillaiton and have no success controlling it. im looking for advice on possible ablation?

Dr. Charles Jost
Cardiology 36 years experience
Possibilities: Possibilities are av node ablation which is burning the av node with radio frequency, rf, ablation or ablation of the atrial fibrillation which requires scarring of the surrounding pulmonary vein. In some cases av node ablation may result in the need for a pacemaker. Atrial fibrillation ablation is more successful if the left atrium is less than 4.5cm and the duration of the af is less than 6 mos.
Dr. Jason Rubenstein
Cardiology 20 years experience
Possibly.: If your atrial fibrillation is bothersome, and it can not be controlled by medications, then considering a catheter ablation is reasonable. The success rate varies depending on how long you've had af, and other clinical factors, but is usually around 60-70%. This is typically a better success rate than medications alone.