U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 42-year-old member asked:

What should i do to help my teenage son who is hooked to smoking indian hemp?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Satinder Aggarwal
Internal Medicine 51 years experience
PCP/PSYCHOLOGIST: Talk to teenager directly if not helpful get professional help of pcp, psychologist, psychiatrist, narcotic anonymous.These soft drugs are gateway to other experimental drugs.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
A Verified Doctoranswered
Addiction Medicine 51 years experience
He isnt "hooked": Hemp, while derived from the same plant, does not contain the active chemical delta-9-thc and can't get you high. It does not produce a physical dependency. If you believe your son is "hooked" on it, it is a psychological and not a physical dependency. Your pediatrician or primary care physician should be consulted, and he may need to see a mental health specialist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Apr 23, 2016
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.