is it possible to cure bladder cancer without surgery?

Dr. Steve Martinez
Breast Surgery 28 years experience
Early stage: See a urologic oncologist. If you have early stage bladder cancer, it may be treated with bladder injections of a bacteria called bcg. This causes an immune response that can eliminate very early bladder tumors.
Dr. James Krick
Urology 36 years experience
Bladder cancer: Non-invasive bladder cancer is sometimes treated with chemotherapy placed into the bladder via a catheter. It is usually still necessary to perform initial and subsequent surveillance cystoscopic exams however.
Dr. Brian Golden
Urology 21 years experience
Probably not: The standard of care for bladder tumors is removal of all abnormal tissue, using a scope via the urethra. A chemo agent is then placed in the bladder to reduce recurrences. If pathology shows cancer invasive into deep layers of the bladder, then major surgery may be needed. The most common reason not to have bladder cancer surgery is if a patient is too high risk for anesthesia complications.