Lafayette, IN

i have a hiatal hernia and gerd my hernia has been recently bothering me a lot wondering if there's anything non surgical i can try?

Dr. Arthur Heller
Gastroenterology 43 years experience
GERD measures: Various measures undertaken to decrease reflux into esophagus. Lose weight, if overweight. Avoid fatty, fried, greasy foods, chocolate, tobacco, peppermint (also spearmint, chamomile), large meals, carbonated beverages, spicy foods, citrus, eating 2-3 h before bed, lying down for 2-3 h after eating. Check meds with md. Consider antireflux meds, and/or meds to decrease acid.
Dr. Jon King
Dr. Jon Kinganswered
General Surgery 29 years experience
Yes: Common lifestyle changes include losing weight, stoping smoking, avoiding foods and activities that seem to cause your symptoms. Medications can be quite helpful. After lifestyle changes and medications you should consider correction of the problem. Options may include laparoscopic fundoplication (nissen for example) and transoral fundoplicaton (corrects reflux without any incisons).
Dr. Gregg Nishi
Bariatrics 22 years experience
Hiatal hernia GERD: Yes and no. It depends on the size. If it is less than 2cm in size, you may be eligible for an endoscopic procedure called the Esophyx. It doesn't always work as well as a Nissen but it is a non-surgical option you can try. You can also just take meds (proton pump inhibitors) which can be very effective. Also, don't drink alcohol, coffee, smoke cigarettes, eat spicy foods, or eat late at night.