how do the symptoms of mouth ulcers and oral cancer differ?

Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dentistry 23 years experience
Gowth rate/healing: Mouth ulcers tend to be painful and heal within 1-2 weeks. When oral cancer is present as an ulceration it grows at a steady rate, isn't tender, and never heals. Oral cancer kills 30, 000 people in the us every year so if you suspect that you may it, see a doctor asap. Early intervention gives higher success rates.
Dr. Park Firebaugh
Dentistry 36 years experience
Duration: Almost any kind of ulcer or trauma in the mouth will heal within a few weeks, but oral cancer will not just go away. If you have an area that won't heal, don't assume that it's cancer, it probably isn't, but do not ignore it either. Have your dentist evaluate the area to see if further investigation is needed.
Dr. Jatin Shah
Dr. Jatin Shah commented
Dentistry 39 years experience
Dentist has to keep the ulcer under observation. Also to rule out any systemic disease
Mar 8, 2013
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
FYI: Not all ulcers are cancerous and not all cancers of the mouth present as ulcers. Any unusual lesion and all that do not go away after two weeks should be biopsied. See an oral surgeon if you want peace of mind for an evaluation.