Providence, RI

does chronic lyme disease cause male infertility?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Possibly but...: Chronic lyme is a complex illness that is reported to cause virtually any symptom, so yes, it could cause infertility, but those most ill with lyme have other conditions that could also be factors. Many with lyme have pyroluria, a metabolic imbalance creating severe zinc deficiency. Many have hormonal imbalances, other chronic infections &/or heavy metal toxicity. All these need to be addressed.
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Infectious Disease 49 years experience
Many physicians do : Not believe that such an entity as chronic lyme disease exists in the way that others do.
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Infectious Disease 49 years experience
Probably not: And besides most academic infectious diseases physicians feel that there really is not such entity as chronic lyme.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker commented
Holistic Medicine 40 years experience
Dr. Lutwick is correct in saying that the Infectious Disease Society of America believes that "Chronic Lyme Disease" does not exist. However, this assertion flies in the face of a large body of research in the peer-reviewed literature proving that infection with Borrelia burgdorferi often does persist after the standard recommended antibiotic therapy. I know that this is a very controversial issue and doctors here are unlikely to come to a consensus. Anyone interested in reviewing the evidence in support of Chronic Lyme can go to http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ipid/2010/876450/ http://www.lymebook.com/chronic-lyme-disease-science and http://www.ilads.org/lyme_research/chronic_lyme.html
Dec 30, 2012
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Infectious Disease 49 years experience
Provided original answer
The real science, over all, still does not support such a diagnosis of chronic Lyme disease. It is clear to me that evidence-based science way outweighs the 'evidence' in support of chronic Lyme. The academic medical community does not consider the data controversial at all....
Dec 31, 2012
Dr. Larry Lutwick
Infectious Disease 49 years experience
Provided original answer
From the academic standpoint, there is no controversy. Peer-reviewed evidence-based real science does not support the diagnosis of chronic Lyme disease as some practitioners define it.
Dec 31, 2012