U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
CA
A 22-year-old member asked:

After 1 beer or glass of wine, i get an itchy, red, raised rash covering my entire left hip and thig?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Christopher Guzik
Family Medicine 25 years experience
Allergic reaction: A rash after drinking wine or beer may indicate an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the liquid. Preservatives are the most likely agents. Stop drinking the offending agent right away as continued use may make the rash worse; or cause a potential breathing problem.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Michael P Vaughn
Allergy and Immunology 35 years experience
Wine is available unsulfited. You may be able to drink preservative free wine
Nov 10, 2011
Dr. Frank Pinto
Dermatology 37 years experience
Sounds like hives: It sounds like you are having urticaria (hives) and i agree that it is probably an allergy to a preservative in the beer and wine- possibly sulfites. When it happens you can try taking an over-the-counter antihistamine like benedryl or zyrtec (cetirizine). Also consider seeing an allergist for allergy testing. Unfortunately it may be difficult to find beer or wine that is completely sulfite-free.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Paul Carter
A Verified Doctoranswered
31 years experience
Consider allergy: One possible common ingredient is brewer's yeast which some people may become allergic to.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 17, 2014

Disclaimer:

Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.