i'm five weeks pregnant. i started spotting a couple of days ago.my gynacologist gave me crinone (progesterone gel) gel 8%. i'm still spotting. is the gel safe? can it cause any birth defects?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Ronald De la Pena
29 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
The gel is safe: At five weeks a vag. Ultrasound may prove helpful. The gel will give u more Progesterone and may help. If u r rh (-) u may need a Rhogam inject.
Answered on Jul 1, 2014
1
Dr. Khurram Rehman
25 years experience Fertility Medicine
Totally safe: Crinone (progesterone gel) contains Progesterone which is identical to the Progesterone your body makes in the second half of your menstrual cycle and when you're pregnant (although it's manufactured from plant-based hormones). It does not cause birth defects. Artificial progesterone-like hormones are called progestins, like Medroxyprogesterone or levonorgestrel, and these may cause birth defects in high doses.
Answered on Jun 30, 2014
1
Dr. Alan Patterson
41 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Please discuss with : Your obgyn, any ?S about meds you are given by your obgyn should be directed to your obgyn that med is safe and approved for exactly that use assuming u need it , it is used when u have a documented low Progesterone level, if the level is normal u do not need it , checked by a blood taste.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
25 years experience Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Safe.: Crinone (progesterone gel) 8% is a safe vaginal gel to stabilize the cervix and early pregnancy. Please discuss with your doctor the indications and potential cost/side effects of this - however rest assured that it is generally safe to use in pregnancy. Take Folic Acid >1 mg daily, avoid exercise, intercourse, aspirin/nsaids/ssris and best of luck!
Answered on Jun 25, 2014