is it ok for my baby to sleep with blankets?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Adam Naddelman
23 years experience Pediatrics
No: Babies should be placed in the crib, on their backs, with no blankets, stuffed animals, or other items in the crib. Babies should always be put down on their backs because doing so has been shown to dramatically reduce the risk of sids (sudden infant death syndrome).
Answered on May 1, 2016
3
Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz
36 years experience Pediatrics
Yes: Leah -this depends on the age of your baby. Newborns and infants up to 6 months of age should sleep on their backs. You can swaddle your baby in a receiving blanket, or you can use a light blanket made of fabric that is breathable. After 6 months of age, any blanket is fine, as long as you avoid heavy comforters.
Answered on Dec 7, 2015
1
Dr. Mark Diamond
45 years experience Pediatrics
Why??: Why does a baby ever need a blanket. If the room temperature is reasonable, the pajamas are warm, i see no need for a blanket. There are safer things to use for comfort.
Answered on Apr 30, 2016
45 years experience Pediatrics
Risky business: We lose about 100 infants in the US yearly that suffocate in twisted blankets,against bumpers or tangled in soft toys.If you want to risk it it is certainly a common mistake.But I could never live with myself if something bad happened because of something I did.Once the kid can stand up in his/her crib, they have the skills to avoid this risk.
Answered on Oct 23, 2015