U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A member asked:

Severe pain under left shoulder blade with burning sensation on skin?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Robert Kwok
Pediatrics 34 years experience
Doctor can evaluate.: Severe pains in any part of the body, especially a new symptom, needs to be evaluated by a doctor to find out why it is happening, and to rule out any serious medical problem. The doctor can be a primary care, E.R., or urgent care doctor.
Dr. Vivek Agrawal
Orthopedic Surgery 32 years experience
Multiple Things: Many sources can result in referred pain to the shoulder blade. Along with the neurogenic sources like cervical (c6 for example) and the suprascapular nerve, we also see many patients with occult shoulder pathology have referred pain to this area. Patients who are very flexible can also have occult shoulder instability refer pain to this area.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 46-year-old member asked:

I have severe burning sensation in my left shoulder blade, what could it be?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Edward Hellman
Orthopedic Surgery 30 years experience
Varies: There are a lot of possibilities, I would encourage you to be seen for an accurate diagnosis. Among the more common causes are: spine related, such as a pinched nerve; peri scapular, such as a sub scapular bursitis; or even nonmusculoskeletal. A detailed exam and appropriate studies would likely reveal the problem and based upon that appropriate alternatives discussed.
Last updated May 15, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.