U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 24-year-old male asked:

My brother does not have down syndrome. although he cannot read, write, or recognize different colors, he can memorize names/ faces.is there any cure?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatric Neurology 49 years experience
Learning disorder: I must assume he has always had problems reading and writing. He has probably been in special education classes. I also assume he can learn but does so slowly with special help. Cure is not the issue. He needs to learn functional skills and good social skills and independence skills. Help find his place and find pride in himself. You express good concern - you are a good brother.
Dr. James Ferguson
Pediatrics 47 years experience
Unknown: Your question does not list enough information for any sort of comment on your brothers condition. Any child/teen/adult who cannot recognize and interpret symbols (letters) by the age of 8 likely has had permanent damage to the areas of the brain involved. The use of his facial recognition & auditory memory may help him get by, but the description suggests some permanent problems.
Dr. William Singer
Pediatric Neurology 52 years experience
Diagnosis: The first thing is get him properly diagnosed. I would start with a pediatric neurologist or behavioral pediatrician. The evaluation should include chromosomal analysis with a micro array assessment. In addition a neuropsychological assessment should be done to determine what is are his strengths and weaknesses and help develop a program for teaching him.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jun 30, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.