U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old female asked:

I am experiencing irregular heartbeats.. sometimes it's so weak and slow but sometimes it beats so hard that it makes me cough. what should i do?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bradley Radwaner
Cardiology 43 years experience
See your doctor: Irregular heartbeats are very common and while usually not related to any serious problem , should be evaluated by a cardiologist. Test may include an electrocardiogram, an echocardiogram , a 24 hour cardiac monitor and even a stress test. Often the cause is related to a stimulant including the caffeine in chocolate, coffee , tea and cola beverages or an over the counter supplement.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. William Scott
Pediatric Cardiology 41 years experience
Be evaluated: It is difficult to know the type of irregular heart beats you are experiencing by the symptoms alone. A complete evaluation is indicated. Ideally a recording of your heart rhythm at the time you are having symptoms is the best way to identify the type. This can be accomplished with a recordiing device you take home. Knowing the type of irregular heart beat will guide the appropriate treatment.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 27, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.