I am experiencing irregular heartbeats.. sometimes it's so weak and slow but sometimes it beats so hard that it makes me cough. what should i do?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Bradley Radwaner answered

Specializes in Cardiology

See your doctor: Irregular heartbeats are very common and while usually not related to any serious problem , should be evaluated by a cardiologist. Test may include an electrocardiogram, an echocardiogram , a 24 hour cardiac monitor and even a stress test. Often the cause is related to a stimulant including the caffeine in chocolate, coffee , tea and cola beverages or an over the counter supplement.

Answered 6/26/2013

5.4k views

Dr. William Scott answered

Specializes in Pediatric Cardiology

Be evaluated: It is difficult to know the type of irregular heart beats you are experiencing by the symptoms alone. A complete evaluation is indicated. Ideally a recording of your heart rhythm at the time you are having symptoms is the best way to identify the type. This can be accomplished with a recordiing device you take home. Knowing the type of irregular heart beat will guide the appropriate treatment.

Answered 1/21/2013

5.4k views