KY

is progestin for 10 days a month or the mirena (levonorgestrel) iud better for heavy menstrual bleeding?

Dr. David Finke
Mirena (levonorgestrel): While there aren't any good head to head studies comparing each method, my patients have much better results with Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud. The Progesterone in it is slowly released the whole month and is more targeted to the uterus than taking 10 days of progestin pills. Also, there is a new amazing medicine called Lysteda (tranexamic acid) that is not a hormone and is very effective. Ask your doc about it!
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology 36 years experience
great options
Nov 13, 2011
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology 36 years experience
Choice up to you: Abnormal periods need evaluation; sonogram, lab tests. Non-surgical options include: birth control pills. Lysteda (non-hormonal rx taken during period), Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud. Minimally invasive options: endometrial ablation (in-office), hysteroscopy polyp removal or fibroid resection; and only if these treatments fail then consider hysterectomy - vaginal or laparoscopic if possible.