U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 18-year-old female asked:

I have a bad wrist injury from falling a couple days ago and smashing it accidentally on ice. it damaged my whole arm. help?

3 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mark Ciaglia
Hand Surgery 18 years experience
Get an exam: Falls onto your arm can damage several structures. Bones can be fractured... Good x-rays can diagnose those. In addition, ligaments can get sprained or torn. Seeing a good physician and having a through exam and diagnostics is appropriate. Missed hand injuries like scaphoid fractures, hammate fractures and torn sl ligaments can lead to long term complications if not diagnosed and treated early.
Dr. Daniel Mass
Orthopedic Surgery 47 years experience
Go to the ER: If you have injuried your arm that badly you should go to an emergency room.
Dr. Jason Torrente
Family Medicine 23 years experience
Go see doctor: If you fell down and contused your wrist, you may need a x-ray to see if there is any acute bony injuries that might need further treatment, such as bracing, splinting or casting.
Dr. Bennett Machanic
Neurology 53 years experience
Would certainly get X-rays of wrist, but also pay attention to elbow and shoulder areas, base on your description.
Apr 4, 2014

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Aug 30, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.