How much of an age difference in dating is too much?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Donald Hazlett answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

Maturity is key: When people are much younger differences in age are bigger barriers because people are changing very rapidly. A freshman in high school is usually much less mature than a senior for instance. By the time college is reached differences begin to dwindle. After college it becomes an issue of having children or not that usually connects or divides people. In later years age becomes almost irrelevant.

Answered 8/9/2012

6.3k views

Dr. Cyma Khalily answered

Specializes in Psychiatry

DEPENDS: This really is very personal and individual choice. Has a lot to do with expectations etc. For instance having children and the biological clock. Have to be realistic about aging and the impact this will have if you stay together down the road. Greater than 10 years puts you in different generations essentially so consider this aspect as well. Love is very important but does not conquer all.

Answered 12/9/2013

5.5k views