United Kingdom (Great Britain)

what factors are involved in the choice of treatment for mental health disorders?

Dr. Justin ORourke
Clinical Psychology 10 years experience
Many factors: Choice of treatment depends on many factors. Research on which treatments work for which disorders is a key factor. For example, forms of cognitive behavioral therapy (e.g., prolonged exposure) have been shown to be best for treating post-traumatic stress disorder. Some other factors include the chronicity and nature of the disorder and the motivation of the patient to change.
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Choice of treatment : Based on diagnoses, treatment history and response any family history.