do food allergies go away?

Dr. Madhukar Punja
Specializes in Allergy and Immunology
Yes: Yes, particularly in children. Most children with allergy to milk, egg and soy outgrow their allergies by age 5-6. However, childhood peanut allergy can be lifelong. In adults it is a different story. Their allergies will be lifelong once they develop it; most commonly they develop allergies to shellfish which stays on for life.
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Allergy and Immunology 44 years experience
Yes: Especially in kids. Food allergies to cow's milk, egg, wheat, soy, and corn that begin in infancy or early childhood usually resolve by adolescence and often by kindergarten entry. Unfortunately peanut, tree nut, and crustacean allergy is more likely to persist whether starting in childhood or adulthood. Only 20-25% of children allergic to peanut or tree nuts ever tolerate these foods in life.
Dr. Alyson Simpson
Allergy and Immunology 17 years experience
Depends: I agree with the above answers. Most food allergies including egg, milk, soy, and wheat allergy resolve over time. However, some studies suggest that some children are outgrowing them later in childhood than previously thought. Only about 20% of children outgrow peanut allergy. Peanut, treenut, and shellfish allergy are present through adulthood and require lifelong avoidance.