A 45-year-old member asked:

I'm allergic to most antibiotics. do i need to be extra careful to prevent injuries in the future?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Javier Chinen
Pediatric Allergy and Asthma 32 years experience
Yes: It is important that the allergies are confirmed by a specialist doctor, because some of the allergic reactions (not ige mediated) might allow a graded challenge. We advise patients to carry a medical alert bracelet or necklace, in case the patient is in emergent care an unable to provide history.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Allergy and Immunology 46 years experience
Never a bad idea: Preventing injuries, i mean. Perhaps your question is what antibiotic can be used when needed. There are less commonly used antibiotics. Tetracyclines, clindamycin, metronidazole, rifampin, are a few. Many people who believe themselves allergic to penicillin are not. An allergist can perform testing for you. Even when allergic oral desensitization can be used safely with proper precautiions.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 35-year-old female asked:
How to prevent getting yeast when taking a 10-day course of antibiotics for UTI?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
Could take an antibiotic to prevent a UTI after having anal than vaginal sex?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
What can you do to prevent antibiotic resistance?
2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Last updated Sep 25, 2012
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.