U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 34-year-old member asked:

how long can you wait for treatment if your son has polycythemia?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Tammi Schlichtemeier
Pediatrics 31 years experience
? age and cause: Polycythemia means that a person has a much higher number of red blood cells in the bloodstream than is normal for age. Newborns sometimes receive more rbc's from mom during delivery than expected. Increasing oral fluids or giving IV fluids is often first line of treatment. However, polycythemia can lead to increased risk of blood clot causing stroke. Patient's doctor can best assess risk.
Dr. Edward Evans
Neonatology 18 years experience
Forever no symptoms: Polycythemia, a high number of red blood cells, can be treated by giving fluids or by taking out blood and replacing it with donor blood (exchange transfusion) however when to treat is controversial, and depends on the degree (how high), symptoms, and the treating doctors treatment practice.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month

Similar questions

A 21-year-old member asked:

My son is 13 months old and he throws up like, when he cries hard or sometimes with thicker foods. Im not sure what's going on?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Specializes in Pediatrics
Delayed emptying: He may have slow emptying of his stomach so when he cries or has thicker foods that are hard to digest they sit longer and any bearing down movement (crying or taking a bm for example) may cause him to reflux or throw it up. A visit with your doc will help sort it out.
A 21-year-old member asked:

My son is four months old and has changed his eating pattern to every five hours. Is that bad?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Howard Gollup
Pediatrics 43 years experience
Wt Gain Says it All!: When a parent asks if their infant is getting enough, i often reply 'if he is gaining weight well, he is getting enough'. Unless there is a medical problem, most infants do great regulating their own intake. If he feeds eagerly, is content, otherwise healthy and is thriving things are probably ok. Growth is an important measure to be followed regularly by his doctor.
A 25-year-old female asked:

No more milk, why? My son is only a week old

2 doctor answers14 doctors weighed in
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Try these steps: A little alcohol, like beer can help. Go to health food store and get fenugreek supplements. Fennel seeds also help. Safe drugs include Reglan (metoclopramide) which you can get in us. There is another safe drug called domeperidone which you can get from canada as long as you have a prescription written by your doctor.
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Obstetrics and Gynecology 30 years experience
You can ask your doctor for a prescription for reglan which is noted for its effect of promoting lactation.
Feb 19, 2012
A 50-year-old member asked:

My son has palliser killian syndrome. Where do I start?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. SG Erman
Dr. SG Erman answered
Family Medicine 35 years experience
NIH: The national institutes of health have an excellent website http://ghr.Nlm.Nih.Gov/condition/pallister-killian-mosaic-syndrome.
A 32-year-old member asked:

75yr age span from grandma to son, and I take care of both. How long can I do this and keep my health?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ralph Morgan Lewis
Family Medicine 38 years experience
Take breaks: Caretakers can wear out & become ill themselves if they fail to arrange periodic breaks from caretaking. Other relatives may spell you or you can arrange for trusted professionals/friends to give you a day or two away from the stress. Council on aging may suggest daycare center for grandma, for example. If your son has special needs, you may find a nearby support group that can help.

Related questions

A 32-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 17-year-old male asked:
2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
A 49-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits
$15 per month
Last updated Jun 10, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits
$15 per month


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.