i started my period two weeks early and it is black what is wrong im a 47 year old female

Dr. Joy Jackson
Dark : Dark or black blood is often a sign of old blood. If you are not ovulating regularly and having abnormal periods (dysfunctional uterine bleeding which is periods that do not follow ovulation) then it can consist of a lot of old blood that has been in the uterus. This is a sign of perimenopause (within a year or so of menopuase). Please consult your doctor for any further issues or concerns. Take care.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016