could i have genital herpes? i am 68. for the first time in 7 years i had sex a couple of months ago.it was oral sex. a week or so later i developed severe pain inside my vagina. my doctor found what she described as a "blister" but decided it was a yeas

3 doctor answers
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engrav answered
31 years experience Emergency Medicine
Please : Please be seen immediately and have cultures taken for herpes, gonorrhea, syphilis, and for chlamydia. Yes, it could be herpes, but it could be other infections as well. Please be seen immediately for a complete evaluation by your doctor.
Answered on Dec 12, 2020
25 years experience Psychiatry
Dr : Dr engrav has already provided you with information about how to proceed with a sexually transmitted disease assessment. I don't know if you have genital herpes but I have included pertinent information. Genital herpes is caused the herpes simplex virus. The virus can enter small breaks in mucus membranes. People who become infected with genital herpes can develop symptoms two to days up to two weeks after they initially contract the virus. They may have headaches, fever, lethargy and muscle aches as well as swollen lymph nodes in the groin area. About 10% of women develop yeast infects at this time. These types of generalized symptoms usually resolve within a week. Most people have what is called a “prodrome” before lesions appear. This can consist of burning, itching, and sometimes marked pain in the area where the lesion is about to show up. This period can last from a couple of hours to a couple of days. Most women initially develop lesions around the vaginal lips or the opening of the vagina. Red bumps may be noted first. They become blisters as they fill up with fluid. In wet area, the blisters may break open, leaving ulcerated skin which is painful. Sometimes a number of blisters coalesce and this creates a larger lesion. In dry areas, the blisters can fill with crust before they scab over. The location of herpetic lesions expand over time. It is a contagious disease.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016
1
Dr. Victor Bonuel
Only a culture,smear: Of the discharge and some antibody blood test can confirm/rule out yeast and herpes. Ask your dr for clarification/confirmation of his/her findings.
Answered on May 7, 2013