I tried to relieve pressure in my ears by holding my nose and now i have pain in my right ear i've had a cold for a few days

Dr. Ron Pelton
Facial Plastic Surgery 37 years experience
Because : Because of swelling, it may be difficult to fully clear. If not, fluid can build behind the ear drum and cause pain. If the pain persists, you should see your ENT or pcp and have them evaluate your ear.
Dr. David Jakubowicz
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 22 years experience
The : The eustachian tube is a structure that goes from the middle ear to the back f the nose whose job is to equalize ear pressure. It is what "pops" when you are in an airplane or fast moving elevator. During a cold, this tube may not function due to swelling or edema. So when you popped your ears to attempt to relieve the pressure, the eustachian tube may have locked and led to pain. Other possibilities is that the cold progressed to an ear infection. If you don't have high blood pressure, try afrin (oxymetazoline) in the nose for one or two days to relieve the pressure or see a primary doctor or ent. Do not take the medication for more than 3 days or rebound rhinitis may develop.

Last updated Oct 4, 2016