U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 48-year-old member asked:

Where can i get help for my anxiety disorder?

3 doctor answers11 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alfredo Soto
Psychiatry 26 years experience
Depends: Like anything else, anxiety comes at different levels of severity. If your anxiety is mild or is specific to a situation (like a fear of flying), a brief dose of psychotherapy with a social worker is enough. If it is more general or not as mild, you may want to see a psychologist who is more trained or your general doctor for medication. If it is really impairing you may want to see a psychiatrist.
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Psychiatry 36 years experience
Start: With your family doctor. Medical issues can cause anxiety. If you are medically cleared, make an appointment with a board certified psychiatrist who can recommend a treatment plan for you, which may include therapy and/or medications.
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Psychiatry 55 years experience
Anxiety Treatment: I commend you for wanting to improve your Emotional Health! Resources: 1. Your family Physician 2. Psychiatrist in private practice 3. Psychiatrist in an outpatient medical Clinic 4. Psychologist in private practice Take the initiative by making telephone call and following through.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership

Similar questions

A 32-year-old member asked:

What can be done to go about getting help for anxiety disorder?

2 doctor answers9 doctors weighed in
Dr. Andrew Berry
Clinical Psychology 14 years experience
Overwhelming thought: Too many thoughts that are unprocessed that occur too quickly without keeping a running inventory over things the patient does and does not have control over.
A 35-year-old member asked:

Where can I find help for an anxiety disorder?

1 doctor answer7 doctors weighed in
Dr. David Escobar
Dr. David Escobaranswered
Family Medicine 9 years experience
Dr. or Counseler: A psychiatrist would be a good resource, because he or she would be able to prescribe medication to help you, plus work with you in therapy to help improve or resolve the anxiety disorder. Another option is to meet with a mental health counselor for the therapy portion of treatment, and work with your family physician or internist to get medication to assist you as you work through the problem.
Florence, AL
A 17-year-old female asked:

What can I do that will help me with my anxiety disorder?

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Frank Fiorito
Specializes in Emergency Medicine
Options: Options are therapy and medicine. Some people also learn to cope on their own. Lifestyle changes can help as well. Decrease stress and caffeine are examples.
A 38-year-old member asked:

Can you tell me how I could get help with my anxiety?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Heidi Fowler
Psychiatry 25 years experience
Start w med eval.: It may uncover underlying medical problems that need to be addressed. Cognitive Behavioral therapy can be effective. Psych meds may be indicated. Aim for daily exercise, 8 hrs sleep /night & good nutrition w 5 servings of veggies & 4 of fruit per day. Try tai chi, yoga, Qi Gong, progressive muscle relaxation, deep breathing exercises or meditation. Take care.
A 31-year-old member asked:

What can you do to help yourself if you have an anxiety disorder?

2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
Dr. Maureen Nash
Geriatric Psychiatry 24 years experience
Avoid avoidance: One of the keys to preventing an anxiety disorder from worsening is to avoid avoiding what increases your anxiety. Exposure to the anxiety provoking situation or thing will actually improve your ability to deal with it. If you cannot do this on your own, seek help from a trained cognitive behavioral therapist.

Related questions

A 32-year-old member asked:
2 doctor answers6 doctors weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 50-year-old member asked:
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
A 20-year-old female asked about a 31-year-old male:
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 39-year-old member asked:
3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated May 28, 2017

People also asked

Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.