will i still be able to go jogging after my pneumonectomy?

Dr. David Cooke
Thoracic Surgery 22 years experience
Maybe: The answer really depends on whether you were able to jog before a pneumonectomy (removal of an entire lung). Certain pre-operative evaluations are used to determine if someone is a candidate for pneumonectomy or other lung surgery. Those tests include spirometry, gas exchange tests and cardiovascular tests. Using those evaluations, surgeons are able to predict the function of a patient after a pneumonectomy or other type of lung function. Surgeons try to avoid pneumonectomy if at all possible, and will not perform a pneumonectomy or other types of lung surgery if the patient will be at risk of not having a good quality of life after surgery. There are types of surgeries, called sleeve procedures, that allow surgeons to remove cancer, and at the same time preserve lung tissue. These sleeve procedures are preferable to pneumonectomy.
Dr. Craig Carter
Thoracic Surgery 40 years experience
Possibly: Depends on your level of lung function prior to surgery. If your remaining lung works well, you may have few, if any, limitations.