Difficulty breathing i am over weight bmi is 40.0+ last i checked i've noticed when i lay in bed at night on my back i struggle to get my breath i have to roll on my side or stomach is this due to my overweight? i've also been snoring really loud and some

Dr. Laura McMullen
By : By far, the most common reason for sleep apnea (disordered breathing during sleep) is obesity. With weight gain, the tissues surrounding your chest, throat and nasal passages become heavy and floppy. This makes it harder for these areas to inflate with breathing leading to loud snoring and difficulty with proper oxygenation. There are a few things you should do. -first, make an appointment to see your doctor. Talk to them about your problems and have them examine you for signs of rarer diseases that could be causing your symptoms such as heart failure. -create a diet and exercise plan. Weight loss is the best long-term way to treat sleep apnea due to weight gain. -consider a sleep study. If your symptoms are severe and are affecting your daily life, consider a sleep study to evaluate your disordered breathing. -other treatments besides weight loss include CPAP (continued positive airway pressure), surgery, or muscle strengthening exercises. Talk to your doctor about your best options. Good luck!
Dr. James Donley
Dentistry 55 years experience
Yes: Having a bmi over 30 indicates higher risk of obstructive sleep apnea. At 40+ extremely high risk. Snoring is found in at least 80% of people with sleep apnea. You need to see a doctor about a sleep study and get treatment. Sleep apnea puts you are risk for high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, diabetes and a host of other problems.

Last updated Oct 23, 2017