is it bad that my period is a lot heavier then usual? i took birth control before my period started and when i finally got my period, its a lot heavier then usual. i end up having to change my tampon every hour or so. is that bad?

Dr. Joy Jackson
If : If you did not start your birth control for the first time the sunday after your period, then you run the risk of having abnormal periods, at least for 3 cycles. However with this comes the risk of anemia (low blood count). Therefore you need to see your doctor to make sure this is not the case. Also if the bleeding continues to be this heavy your doctor may want to change your birth control to one with a different hormonal make up. Best of luck.
Answered on Oct 3, 2016