U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 22-year-old female asked:

Should i change birth controls? i'm currently taking amnethia tablets, a birth control similar to seasonique. i'm only supposed to have my period once every 3 months. i started taking the pills in jan, and now i've been bleeding relatively heavy for about

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Mary Engrav
Dr. Mary Engravanswered
Emergency Medicine 32 years experience
I : I do think you should consider changing birth contorl. It is abnormal to have heavy bleeding for a week while on birth control. It may mean that your hormones are out of balance. Please use a condom until you are established on a new oral contraceptive tablet. Please see your doctor for an evaluation.
Dr. Elizabeth Finley-Belgrad
Child Psychiatry 35 years experience
Call prescriber: You definitely need to let your prescriber know so they can advise you on optimal next step
Last updated Sep 18, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.