U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 39-year-old female asked:

I had a radial head fracture and i still have pain after 4 months. my elbow feels stuck. what should i do?

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. George Huffman
Orthopedic Surgery 24 years experience
It : It is recommeded that you see an orthopaedic specialist trained in elbow, upper extremity surgery. Stiffness after a radial head fracture is common. Other issues like scar tissue, incomplete healing of the broken bone and improper bone healing can also occur.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
AN : An neven joint surface or scar tissue in the joint or stiffness due to joint tightness, get reevaluated.
Dr. Christopher Henley
Hand Surgery 20 years experience
You : You need to see an elbow surgeon. Did you see an orthopedic surgeon to get treated at first? The stuck feeling and pain could be several things - none of them very good. The most normal, non-alarming thing it could be is a stiff elbow with pain coming from the joint being stretched as you try to "unstick" it. This could be a bone healing problem, where the bone fragments don't heal. You could also have another injury on top of the radial head fracture causing stiffness, like an ulna fracture inside the joint. Impossible to diagnose here on the inter-webs. Please go forth and see an elbow surgeon.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jan 23, 2020


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.